Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tales of a Birmingham Burnout


As I read a casual friend's blog this week, I couldn't decide if I should be flattered or frustrated.  

Her post described her recent conversation with a woman who she described as clever, quick-witted, creative, a great mom, woman of faith...and uncool?

I thought {as that woman}, I would add some thoughts to the matter.

First of all, I'll start out by saying kudos to my friend for her fierce commitment to our lovely city.  As a relatively recent transplant to the 'Ham, she and her family have, with impressive ease, joined the ranks of the Magic City.  Her tenacity, advocacy, and passion are palpable. Honestly, she reminds me of an earlier version of myself.  

But just as the newlywed magic of marriage wears off and the real work begins, the magic of this town wears off when year after year, decade after decade, the real work isn't accomplished. Constant political upheaval, embarrassing headlines, budget breakdowns and abysmal infrastructure is enough to wear a girl down.  And you start to wonder; maybe this relationship isn’t for keeps.  Bored - maybe not, tired - yes.

Merriam-Webster defines burnout as "the exhaustion of physical or emotional strength or motivation usually as the result of prolonged stress or frustration."  Yep, that about sums it up.  Prolonged frustration.  Exhaustion of motivation.  

I've spent 17 years as an energetic member of this community.  I've served on boards, organized community events, fought to save City Stages, helped lead an art co-op, spent long hours in an art festival tent and eaten many an Urban Standard cupcake {a sacrifice, I know}.

We know our neighbors (yay, Crestwood), grow an impressive garden (thanks, hubs), and are part of an organic dairy co-op (happy cows).  So, no cave-dweller here (her words).

And, as much as I appreciate her long list of Birmingham activities, it's going to take more than an evening music event (past my kid's bedtime) or another local brew fest (that I have to get a babysitter for) to make this momma happy.  There are many of us who were once counted in the ranks of motivated movers and shakers who are hard-working parents who need more for our families.  Forgive me if another free movie doesn't fluff my exhausted feathers.

Don't get me wrong, I love this town and want to see it succeed.  I’ve served for many years as ambassador extraordinaire to many a Birmingham hopeful.  And, yes, there are many glimmers of progress - local breweries flowing with carefully mastered, hoppy concoctions, our local parks finally getting the investment they deserve, and the earth {literally} moving to bring the Barons back to the city.

But after two decades of this city asking its citizens to be the coach, the quarterback, the defensive line, the financiers, and the cheerleaders, I’ve got a serious case of Birmingham burnout.

And that my friends, is what’s uncool.

2 comments:

Shady Cappy said...

Love. And agree.
Cappy

LK Whitney said...

And this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I wish our conversation could have lasted longer than it did, without little ones tugging at our tails, with much coffee to keep us going...

The fierce optimism gets old, quickly, especially here in Birmingham. And I'm not even *out there*, really...I'm just in a bubble, pretending like the rustling and rallying is making some sort of significant push.

And I know I'm not the first, nor the last. And I know you have a far better grip on reality than myself.

And I wish, after reading this, that I could put it in to words like you do...

I certainly hope my yapping did not offend. Our conversation was delightful, and your words were a spark for what I realize was not a geniunely fair post.

Let's have our husbands take care of the kids one night, and let's go have one of those locally-crafted brews.

First round's on me...