Monday, May 9, 2011

What a Year!

Wow, it's hard to believe that Eleanor is a year old. And what a year it has been.

We were so excited to add her to our little brood, but man, two kiddos have been really challenging.

Now don't get me wrong, every mom is a working mom. Motherhood (parenting, really) is a job that is never-ending and rarely does one get enough rest, encouragement or fulfillment (honest, but true). Add to that a full-time, in-the-office, do-I-have-an-outfit-without-milk-on-it-kind of job, and it can be kind of brutal.

For those that know me, I've tried the part-time job thing, but it doesn't work. My career path is not one that is easily left at the office, and one doesn't ever arrive at completion. It's a daily grind of what-should-I-do-next, so it's not exactly part-time friendly. The only thing that was part-time was the pay. And that's not cool.

So, with Eleanor's arrival, Dug and I decided that I should pursue full-time employment. Staying at home isn't an option (for those of you who are wondering). The good news was that I was able to transition my job without really changing employers, so the transition was probably less challenging than it might have been. But, it's been a big change and has forced us to make some changes.

The first one is about protecting our family time and making choices that really work for us. This has meant that after-5:00pm activities have been seriously restricted, as it's really the only time for us to spend with the kids and get ready for the next crazy day. This has meant that our church home of almost a decade just leaves us completely crazy starting out our week - so, it's left us with some tough decisions.

We feel good about the decisions we are making, as we prayerfully consider our options. It may seem at times that we are only thinking of ourselves, but honestly, our job as parents is to help create a home that is filled with love and honesty, not a million things to do. We've stayed well-connected with our community and have sought out new relationships. It's been a fearful, but fruitful time.

So, I leave this post with a promise to post more - I'm actually thinking about challenging myself to a post every day for a year. We aren't talking some complicated group of pictures with a play-by-play of our life, but a nice reflection on the day.

Here's one from last week's celebration of Eleanor's first birthday - so cute!


No comments: